Monday, October 29, 2007

A Walk to Remember

(And other activities with Sarah in DC)

Sarah came to visit this past weekend. She and Stacy flew in Thursday and stayed through Sunday. It rained for first two days they were in town, which sucked for sightseeing, but was good overall because it ended the terrible drought we've had in the area. The rain forced us inside quite a bit. On Friday evening, I put Sarah through the pain of listening to a podcast on the flu vaccine (sidenote: I think I want to try to get a flu shot this year...I might write more on this later) and we spent a low-key evening playing cards. I know, I'm such a great host...

Here's a picture of some of our fun times indoors! I'm reading Date Lab out of the Washington Post Magazine!

On Saturday, the weather cleared up which allowed us to walk around outside LOTS. Sarah and I walked to the farmers market in the morning. Then, Sarah, Jake, and I walked to the metro, got off and meandered around Eastern Market, strolled down to Hamilton's (a bar near the Capitol) to watch part of the Badger game, traversed the mall in order to tour the monuments, advanced across the bridge into Virginia (and almost got to see George Clooney filming a movie in the process), treked the area surrounding Iwo Jima, and slogged our way up to the Rosslyn metro station. From there, we rode up to Dupont Circle and did a crapload more walking to meet up with Stacy, Jason, et al. for dinner as well as pop into the Brickskeller for some after dinner beers.

Here's a picture of Sarah from part of our MONUMENTAL walk:


On Sunday morning, Sarah and I got up early and watched Stacy, Jason, and Ken run a 10K and tried to see Dan running the Marine Corp Marathon. We came back to Alexandria in the afternoon and ate lunch at Hard Times Cafe with Jake. Then, Jake and I drove Sarah over to Maryland so Jason could give her a ride back to the airport.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Nice recap...I forgot about Date Lab! Good news: my feet are feeling a little better today. I think I'm going to get new shoes sometime soon. Although, we did walk a half-marathon. :)

Again, thanks for having me stay with you and taking me all around the city! I also realize I never paid you back for that Frito Pie...I'll make it up to you somehow, someway.

Xactly.

Elizabeth said...

HAHAHAHAHA HOLY CRAP THAT PICTURE

Maria said...

Candy's wearing her specs in that picture. Are you wearing them lately, or just being fashionable?

Also, I also had a killer walk when I visited Candy (although not near as long as Sarah's walk). Recommendation for visiting Candy: wear comfortable, broken-in, orthopedic shoes!