Wednesday, August 23, 2006

There's No Place Like Home



I still don't feel like I'm at "home" yet in here in Arlington. I'm looking forward to moving because I really want a place to feel settled into. I've known all along that this living situation would be temporary, so I haven't been able to think of it as home. It's more like a long stay in a hotel...just with all my worldly possessions as well.

Maybe if I start at a job, it'll help me feel more at home. I have no sense of purpose at the moment. I try to pretend like I have this important daily routine and schedule, but I really don't. The biggest thing that I have to a purpose these days is making sure that I plan and cook dinner for Jake and myself in the evening.

Am I a bitch for slamming the Hobbit online in my last post? I feel a bit guilty for doing it. Oh well...it's not like I have people here to call up and rant to about it.

I heard recently that the Health and Human Services's "recommended" amount of daily exercise for adults to maintain their weight is 60 minutes a day! They recommend 90 minutes a day for people trying to lose weight. Holy shit...maybe this is why I've been working out for 30 minutes a day for the last month and a half and haven't seen any change in anything. Nope, haven't lost an ounce of weight. I also checked my blood pressure yesterday at the pharmacy and it's gone up since the last time I was at the doctor. I made the blood pressure cuff-thingy squeeze my arm three separate times, and every time the reading came out right around 150/100. Shit. I think the last time I was at the doctor it was around 139/90 and they told me I needed to watch it then. Of course, Jake hopped on and checked his blood pressure right after me and he came out at like 120/70 or something.

I have a job interview on Friday. It's for a real job this time. Scary. This job would involve a decent amount of driving and being on-call 24/7. Huh. I don't know how I feel about that, but I do know that a real job would be nice. It would also be nice to hear back from more of the jobs I've applied to. Crap, I hate rejection.

I talked to a guy in the elevator of our building yesterday. Well, more accurately, he talked to me. I found out that he had just moved here this summer, that he had grown up in a small town in Illinois, and that he went to school at UW-Platteville. I of course told him that I am from Wisconsin. I should have at least found out what his name was or what apartment he lives in here. He held the elevator door open for a while to talk to me as I was getting off of it. Then he just said, "Well, see you around..." when he let the elevator door close. I doubt I'll see him again, though...the liklihood of me running into him in the next two and a half weeks before I move out it is pretty slim.

No comments: