Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Satisfaction

I just read a blurb in U.S. News and World Report that there is recent research suggesting that people's happiness "set points" can shift as they age. That's what I hope is happening to me. I think that I have generally been happier the last five or so months than I've been in the last couple years beforehand...

I'm not sure why entirely. Maybe I don't feel so much pressure to always work because I'm not in school anymore... Maybe I feel freer to pursue my own interests rather than fulfill school obligations... Maybe it's because I have much more leisure time... Maybe it's just having Jake around... Anyway, I'm hoping that the mood shift is a permanent change for the better.

It will soon be Xmas break. Three more days of work and then I get to go home! Things are going to be crazy because Jake and I will have a lot of traveling back and forth to do. We'll be at his parents' house first, then my parents' house, then we're flying out to Colorado, staying at a hotel, and spending time with some of Jake's aunts and uncles who live out there.

I don't like saying that I make New Year's Resolutions. Resolution sounds so weak to me. I'd rather have a New Year's "Plan of Action" or something. "Resolution" implies a vague thought that something will get done, while I'd rather have step-by-step plans in place. I'm hoping that break will give me some time to sit down and reassess some of my life goals to figure out what the heck I'm doing with myself. We'll see if it happens considering my hectic travel schedule. I did write out some goals in a notebook during the summer and I've stayed surprisingly on track for a lot of them. I think I may need to make some new goals and/or revise some of the old ones, though. Maybe if I don't get it done while I'm off work, I can do it when I'm at the apartment by myself for a few days (I come back to VA a few days before Jake does). If I come up with some new goals, I'll have to work on blogging about them.

One of the goals I wrote up in June was to take an art class within the next year. I recently enrolled in a pottery class, which I'm pretty excited about. I'm going to spend two and a half hours every Monday learning pottery with the Art League in Old Town. My class starts January 8th and goes for nine weeks. What should I make while I'm in the class? I think I want to try to make some salad bowls. I can probably do that when I learn how to use the wheel...I think we'll probably do some sessions of hand-building, though. What else should I make?

5 comments:

Emily said...

i made a cool brontosaurus sculpture out of clay back in 8th grade. And I glazed it dark pink/maroonish. Brighton complimented me on it when she was here to visit. It is pretty good. But I can understand if you don't want a brontosaurus sculpture in your house.

You know what's really original? A pencil container. :)

You could make a vase. Or a little sauce/condiment bowl thing (for dipping, etc). Or a mug. Or a big ol' paperweight. A cookie jar. A chair. Clay shoes. Clayton Hanson. Clay Aiken. A clay Clay Aiken. Hahahaha!!! Talk about an ugly sculpture...

Maria said...

I think you can't call them brontosauruses anymore. Their apoptosauruses now. Very big deal. You'll have to check it out in Wikipedia.

Anyway, I think you should try to make a replica of David..... or a pencil holder.

I like the little bowl idea best-- It's really hard to find nice bowls that hold 1/2 cup to 2 cups (they are all supersized!!-- Damn McDonalds to hell!!!). You should make a matching set of lots of different sizes. And then have a condiment party!

Sarah said...

Emily, your idea was lame. I made a yellow triceratops in 1st grade, which is WAY cooler than your maroon brontosaurus/apoptosaurus. I mean, yellow is like the most versitile color in the world. Whatever you do, go yellow and go big.

Maria said...

Like a school bus?

L. Sanchez said...

I remember back in the day when a brontosaurus was a brontosaurus and Pluto was a planet.

Fuck. We're OLD.

I like that you're happier, Candy. I like that you think The Jake is making you happier.

PS Incense holders. 'Member making incense holders in art class?