Tuesday, January 02, 2007

The New Year

I'm incredibly tired. I can't think straight. I'm staying up, though, waiting to see if the airline will deliver my bags. They were lost last night on the flight back to DC. They are supposed to be coming tonight. A flight came in at 2pm today that supposedly had my bags on it. I called Frontier (the airline I flew) this afternoon to see if they were on the way. The guy told me that my bags should have been picked up at 4pm by a delivery company today. He also said, however, that it could take 4-5 hours plus before the bags get to my apartment...maybe more because there are lots of lost bags to deliver from holiday flights. Ugh.

Anyhow, I am working on my action plans. I have four broad plans, which I need to come up with specific small steps to achieve. Here are the four plans:

1) Become an environmentally responsible person.
2) Become healthier.
3) Develop my philosophy of life.
4) Contribute to the human legacy.

I know these are excessively broad. I bet I can even keep these action plans for next New Year. But, hopefully I will be steps closer to "perfection" in each one.

I do have smaller steps for each of these. I don't feel like writing them out right now, though. Plus, I think I need to develop better, more specific steps for some of them, which will take more thinking and effort than I'm willing to put forward tonight. I'm so ready to pass out.

I read that recent Census data indicates that about three quarters of college freshmen say that their primary personal objective is "being financially well off". Back in the 70s, I guess college freshmen said that their objective was "developing a meaningful philosophy of life". Isn't it depressing that our society has become so money-focused? What does that say about America? Man, I want to push back and have a movement toward making life meaningful. I guess I don't know exactly what the meaning of life is, but I'm sure money isn't the meaning of life. Maybe money faciliates some meaningful life experiences, but it's not the reason that I exist.

I have so much more to say, but I feel completely wiped. I feel like I think about a million more things than I'm able to blog about lately.

Hopefully, I'll write more tomorrow or something. I also want to write about what I did over break. Jake should have pictures and I should be able to get those from him after Thursday.

I think I'm going to go to sleep and see if the airline calls me in the middle of the night. It's 9:30 and I can't keep my eyes open anymore.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I was thinking about your travels, as you went to Colorado and all. Interested in hearing about everything later. Good luck contributing to the human legacy, in the meantime.