Wednesday, November 07, 2007

I've got some good news and some bad news

Here's the bad news first:

I have an infection in my pinkie finger. I'm seeing a hand surgeon tomorrow. It's a long story. I'll try to edit it down to a few bullet points though:

  • I got referred to the wrong doctor by the ER originally (she wasn't in my PPO).
  • After that doctor took out my stitches, I noticed that my finger was red and swollen, but I thought I'd wait to see if it went down.
  • The swelling didn't go down, so I called the same doctor back to make an appointment to come back in. The earliest time she had available was in two weeks.
  • During that time, I figured out that my insurance wouldn't cover going in to see her.
  • Then, I went to a drop-in clinic on Friday so I could see someone. I was sick of waiting.
  • They put me on antibiotics.
  • I had to go back in on Monday to have my finger re-evaluated. They told me I should see a hand surgeon because I've developed a fibroma, which is an abnormal growth of healing tissue.
  • I was referred to someone actually in my PPO and I'm seeing him tomorrow.

    Here's the good news:

    I interviewed for a research assistant position when Sarah was here visiting. I followed up with them on Monday and they told me that they want to offer the position to me. They're doing a budget analysis and should let me know if I can have a job with them by the end of the week. I'm glad that they want to give me a job, but the waiting and uncertainty is bothering me. In the meantime, I've subbed at the schools twice. My first time was as a paraprofessional in the kindergarten room and the second was as an LD teacher at the middle school. Both were pretty easy. I was surprised at the amount of people helping while at the middle school. I only had six kids in my first class. A para came in to help right away, and then two OT/PT women came in mid-class to help out. So, it was basically four staff to six students, and these students didn't even have severe disabilities. I thought myself, "Hell, there have been times when I have been left alone with four to six kids with severe problems. This is nothing..."

    Last Thursday, I convinced Jake to go to E Street Theater with me to see the movie King Corn. I heard about it over the summer and have been wanting to see it, so in my opinion it's good news that I did see it. The movie basically just rehashed a lot of things I've learned previously by reading Michael Pollan, etc., but there was some good entertainment value in it. One of my favorite parts was watching the two guys who made the film trying to make high fructose corn syrup in their kitchen at home. There's also a gross part where they actually reach into a live cow's stomach and pull out corn parts to show how the cow actually can't digest it.

    My final bit of good news is that we're only two short weeks away from Thanksgiving and I'm going to Vermont! So, soon I'll be able to say that I've seen another state that I haven't seen before (I need to see five new states before July 2009 so I can cross an item off my to-do list). And, I'll get to see Lelani and Jon! Yay!

  • 3 comments:

    Sarah said...

    CoNgRaTuLaTiOnS! I'm so glad to hear the good news...a job!! It sounds like all of my coaching the night before your interview really paid off...haha.

    Sorry about you're finger, good luck tomorrow!

    By the way, I saw Lars and the Real Girl last weekend with Nic, and it was sooooo good. I laughed and cried the whole way through.

    Emily said...

    bummer about your thumb, but great re: the job development!

    Emily said...

    when i said thumb, i meant pinky/ie...

    ah, they're all the same...you know, like asians. ;)