Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Sick Day

I took my first sick day ever from work today. I have a sore throat and a cough, and frankly, I'm also sick of work. It's not at all surprising that I've come down with something. I've had a kid spit all over me, been coughed on by a couple kids, and have generally been exposed to all sorts of germs. I'm glad to sit at home today in my pajamas and relax. Now I only have to go in for eight more days of work before I come home for spring break.

Some of the people in charge at my job bother me. I feel like they're always lying (or distorting the truth) to cover their asses. For example, last week they knew that a student's mom was going to come in and observe. They moved around a bunch of staff to that student's room so that she wouldn't see how short-staffed we really are. Yup...if our school were doing a good job, they wouldn't have to do shit like that. I'm sure this mother got a completely inaccurate view of what our school is really like. I've overheard plenty of the things that one woman in particular (who would be my boss if they moved me into a teaching position) has said to parents and case managers and I get the feeling that she is just trying to provide good PR to cover up how disorganized our school really is. I feel horrible about what we are doing. I don't want to push anymore to be moved into a teaching position because of the way I feel about the woman in charge there. I just want to get out.

I work for such a shady organization...I still suspect that they are breaking some labor laws through some of their practices. I'm not entirely sure, though, because there could be some loopholes for non-profit organizations or something that I don't know about. It would end up costing me a few hundred dollars if I wanted to consult with a lawyer about it, so I guess it's not really worth it to me to look into it too much. I just need to get out of my job very soon.

The one thing that I really like about my job is the camaraderie with my coworkers. I like them. I hope they all get out, too.

The problem with me taking today off is that by the time the wedding comes around, I'll only have three and a half days of vacation saved up. I plan to ask for eight days. I think if they can't give the days of unpaid leave to me, I will tell them I plan to quit. Back to square one and the job hunt...

2 comments:

Sarah said...

At first I thought I was reading Emily's blog, and was surprised she was spat on at school! Tell me why again these kids aren't in a normal school? Are they too violent??

Maria said...

Just keep counting the days!!! You're almost home!!