Sunday, March 25, 2007

The Thing Is, They Speak Portuguese in Brazil.

Today Jake and I went to Chipotle. The man in line in front of me turned to me and asked, "Do you speak Spanish?" I said, "Umm...I speak a little bit, I guess." I wondered if he was asking me this because he wanted to say something to one of the Hispanic workers behind the counter. Then he asked, "Do you speak French?" I responded, "No, not really..." and gave him a quizzical look. He went on to say he was asking because I look "either Brazilian or Eastern European or something..." I said, "I guess I have a German background? That's European..."

Geez, what a weird, random thing to say to me. How the hell do I look Brazilian? Not that I'm complaining. I guess they say Brazilian women are hot. Maybe it was his strange attempt to hit on me.

The moral of the story is: if this is what some people go around saying to other people randomly, I should be a little bit more comfortable starting small talk with people. I think I could come up with something a bit more intelligent to say.

3 comments:

Maria said...

HA!!! That's awesome.

YOu should go around saying random things to people. You probabaly wouldn't seem as weird as that guy!

Can't wait to see you!

Maria said...

I was thinking more about this. There's a grad student I know named Cinzia and she's from Italy. I think you have some as the same facial features as her, like the shape of your face and your skin tone...

L. Sanchez said...

Portueguese (sp?) is a combination of Spanish/French. So maybe he was...idunno, thinking of that when he asked. Though I don't know why the fuck he wouldn't have just asked if you spoke Portueguese...