Monday, July 30, 2007

Post-weddingness, the job hunt, and small town affairs

It's hard for me to determine what things I should blog about and what things I shouldn't. I feel that I have a number of ideas of things I could write about, but if I wrote about everything I thought of, it would take forever. I heard a podcast recently that discussed the impact of blogs and how blogs are the new photo album/scrapbook of our time. The blogger they had on was a mother and there was a discussion of what this woman was leaving behind for her child as she blogged about his developmental milestones as well as all of her frustrations and difficulties trying to be a good parent. I know that what I write now is what I'll have to look back on in the future. How do I narrow that down? What's more important, a log of my day-to-day experiences? My take on what I see in the news or on what I read? My general feelings about life in the abstract?

Speaking of blogging...Way to go, Jake! You've rejoined the blogging community. Keep it up! (For those of you who don't know, Jake decided recently to make his own list of 50 things to do before our second wedding anniversary. He also added a post to his blog, which he hasn't done in quite some time...) Now we need to keep tabs on each other and try to get each other to do the things on our lists.

Things post-wedding have been going great. Jake and I had an enjoyable day in Madison right after the wedding, when all the stress was over with. We had a nice breakfast at the Arbor House (where we stayed), opened gifts, went to the Art Fair on the Square, and had our first "married date" (dinner at Lombardino's and Michael Moore's new movie)that evening. We organized our apartment not long after we got back and took a bunch of stuff to Goodwill. We've gone on a camping trip to Shenandoah and took the time to play games and hang out with Jon, Ellen, Rob, & Christine. I now have almost all of my thank-yous written and hope to get them mailed this week. Our official marriage license came in the mail and Jake was able to add me to his health insurance policy. Now the main things I have to work on are a lot of the name change stuff and finding a job...

I have an interview Wednesday for a job as a career counselor. It sounds like a different sort of job. It's career counseling through the NIH for postdocs...I'm not sure how helpful I could be in that capacity or exactly how much career counseling postdocs really need...

Jobs...eek. I'm so not sure what I want to do. It's nice in a way to not have a job right now, but I feel insecure about it, too.

I have a lot of things to look forward to in my calendar. We're planning to go tubing down the Potomac this upcoming weekend. We'll probably have another poker tournament in a couple of weeks. We're flying to Chicago in another month to go to Dan's wedding. Tonia is having a bridal shower at the beginning of September, which will be interesting if I go to it. We're driving with Jon and Ellen to Penn State in mid-October to see some Badger football. And, Sarah might come visit at the end of October!! Yay!

There is drama back home regarding Princeton High School, a scholarship, and my brother. There appears to be a case of favoritism which caused school officials to award a $9,000 scholarship (which should have gone to my brother due to his class rank) to another student (who has a parent that is a teacher/coach at Princeton). My brother tried to find out about what was going on with it and the principal was unable to satisfactorily explain to him why this other student got the scholarship. In fact, my brother's investigations into this scholarship prompted the principal to write Cory a letter about how she regretted "advocating" for him when he asked that he receive credits for some independent studies he has taken under the technology teacher at the high school. My parents are going in to speak it all before the school board. I don't know what to say about this...I hope it gets addressed. I'm tempted to tell my family they should get a lawyer and look into suing. I'm not exactly sure what kind of a case they have, though...and I wouldn't want to be responsible for telling my parents to spend a couple thousand dollars on a lawyer if they lost.

No comments: