Friday, August 03, 2007

Food Is Interesting

Finding out what is in our CSA share every week is an adventure. This week, we got a big white squash, which I have no idea what to do with yet. Does anyone have suggestions?

We also got something called "tigger melons", I believe. At least, that's what this woman called them when I went to pick up my share this week. Jake and I ate one of them for dessert last night.

Tomato season is in full swing. I've done so much with tomatoes lately! I made two batches of pico de gallo last week. I served some of it to guests we had over on Saturday night. I've also made fried green tomatoes, used tomatoes in salads, and made homemade tomato sauce to put on pasta. I learned that if you dunk a tomato in boiling water for a few seconds, then cool it in ice water, you can easily remove the peel. It's interesting. I was thinking that I want to try making sauce and freezing it, but I've actually been able to use all the tomatoes fresh lately, just through meal planning. Maybe if I get some more in the upcoming weeks.

We've also had a lot of cucumbers. One week I made a big cucumber and onion salad, but I've also been using them on sandwiches and also just as a snack with either hummus or salad dressing.
How do people get to be cookbook writers? I think it'd be interesting to do. Any recipe I'd write would probably be a slight rip-off of other recipes, though.
Huh.
Well, now I want to tool around and look for something to do with that squash...no clue on what will work with that thing...

2 comments:

Emily said...

i like tomatoes.

Maria said...

I'm totally jealous of your vegetables! I'm hoping to have green beans and tomotoes soon. Meanwhile, I have a ton of swiss chard and I don't like it.

Could you do a basic squash recipe with the squash-- like back in an oven with a little water and then mash with butter and brown sugar...

Rexx likes this cucumber recipe from his mom (it's probably good, but vinegar creeps me out a little):

Peel and slice a few cucumbers (like 4 big picklers or something). Add some salt to them and let them sit for a few hours (I don't usually wait that long, though).

Drain the cucumbers. Add sliced onions.

Whisk 1/2 c vinegar, 2/3 c sugar, and 1/2 c sour cream together and pour over cukes. Add pepper to taste and refrigerate until eaten.