Friday, August 31, 2007

SPACE ELEVATOR!!!!

I was talking to Jake last night. We returned to the familiar conversational theme of me complaining that I don't have a job, I don't do anything worthwhile, and even if I had a job, it probably wouldn't allow me to do anything all that fantastic. After I throw myself a little pity party, I tend to joke around about what I would do with myself, given money, power, etc. I throw out a bunch of BS ideas. Sometimes the ideas have to do with saving the world. Sometimes they are just get-rich quick schemes.

Anyway, last night I told Jake that I was going to solve the "climate crisis". I told him all we should do is pump all the excess carbon into tanks and shoot it into outer space. Of course, Jake rightfully laughed at my inefficient, unworkable BS. He may have laughed more at this idea than the horrible idea I had for a restaurant selling BBQ tofu on a stick. He said, "Do you even realize how much fuel gets burned up shooting something into space?" Then he laughed even more as I stupidly suggested the development of a solar powered rocket. Then Jake said, "Why not just use a space elevator?" And I was like, "What's that??" He rolled his eyes like he couldn't believe I've never heard of a space elevator. Then he explained to me the idea of hooking up an elevator onto an object in geosynchronous orbit as a way of reducing the energy required to get into outer space. People have actually thought of this! Look! Jake said, "Okay, maybe we have to get a subscription to Popular Science or something so you know what I'm talking about..." Is it weird that I've never heard of a space elevator? Oh, I love my husband. Yes, this is what makes marrying him worthwhile... I'm not kidding. The space elevator made my day.

3 comments:

Maria said...

I don't know anything about a space elevator either, but... yesterday on npr they were talking about this guy who made a solar airplane that becom a model for a solar-powered plant/rocket that went up 100,000 feet or miles or something. Read about it here: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=14060778

So, Candy, I totally agree with you. You win!!!

Emily said...

I have never heard of this so-called 'space elevator', either. And I think I'm more "in the know" about stuff like that than the average American citizen. But that doesn't mean much, I suppose.

You changed your color scheme. Nice.

BBQ tofu on a stick--they have these in SoKo. Big surprise, eh?

I need a job, too. Boo-hoo. At least YOU have a husband.

Jake said...

Ha, I am glad that I am loved because of my knowledge of random scientific ideas I saw years ago in Pop Sci or random websites.