Saturday, November 12, 2005

Should I change my thesis?

Okay, for those of you who don't know...my thesis currently involves surveying 6th, 8th, and 10th graders about their perceptions of stressful life events. I was planning on surveying the kids in Chippewa Falls because that's where I'm doing my practicum. I found out yesterday that the high school doesn't want to do my survey because they feel that it is too soon and it's too sensitive a subject following the bus tragedy that recently happened in Chippewa. I went in to talk to my advisor about it to try to come up with an idea of another school district where I could get a sample. She suggested a couple of places, but also gave me the idea that I could survey the teachers and counselors in Chippewa about how they handled the bus tragedy at school. I don't know...I'm tempted to change my thesis now. I'm still waiting to hear back to see if the middle school in Chippewa will want to do my survey, but I think I'll still need a 10th grade sample, even if they do...

The pros of changing my thesis:
I'm sick of my current topic and would appreciate a change. I think that the information that I'll get from the new topic will give me better, more useful information which could be used in crisis management models. I could stay in Chippewa for all my information. I wouldn't be surveying kids, which is a bit of a hassle with all the consent stuff.
The cons: I need to come up with a new survey right away, because I have to get through IRB before the end of the semester in order to pass one of my classes. I have to write a whole new literature review, which would cause me a considerable amount of work during winter break.

I don't know...what should I do?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I say change it. You've been unhappy with it for a while. It would probably more work in the long run to stick with a thesis you don't really enjoy than to start from scratch on a new topic that's easier to get into.