Thursday, September 28, 2006

Job Craziness

I got offered a job, but I don't know how I feel about it. It's a job helping disabled adults find employment. It would involve a lot of driving around, working some weekends, and working random hours. I asked them if I could have a week or two to let them know if I'd take the job. They wouldn't let me have that much time. I have to let them know by tomorrow. They told me that I was their "top candidate", and that if I didn't get back to them soon, they'd offer the job to someone else. I'm nervous. Ugh.

I'm leaving home in a couple hours to do an observation at this year-round school for students with developmental disabilities. It sounds like I could probably get in there and get a job. Maybe... I might prefer working there because at least it would be regular hours, no weekends, and not too far of a drive. It'd still be stressful, but at least it would just be stressful during regular hours...

(Okay, I just missed a phone call while typing this about a job offer as a psychiatric technician. The woman that interviewed me for that position told me flat out that she didn't think that I would be "challenged" by the job with my education. Plus, I don't think that it pays very well. It would also involve working some weekends. I'll call them back tomorrow and get the details.)

I botched an interview yesterday for a job as a mental health clinician. Okay, so orginally the guy I was interviewing with forgot that he had an interview with me and he set up a doctor's appointment for himself...so the people in the office there called him on his cell and he was basically like, "Oh, I really screwed this up. Can you come back in another hour?" So, I agreed and came back later and started my interview with a woman there, because he hadn't shown yet. Then he came in and took me to his office to talk. The interview started going along (not so well, I might add...), and then he asked me something about my weaknesses. I said, "I get nervous sometimes...like in interviews and stuff." He said, basically, "No kidding...you're killing yourself here." His comment took me aback and I started to cry. The guy went on to say that I looked awesome on paper, but if I always acted this nervous he couldn't realistically send me into the schools and that I'd probably be fired in like a month. He then said that he and I could try to chalk the whole experience up to us both having bad days and I could call him back in a couple of days to reschedule with him and redo the interview. I don't know if that's what I want to do or not...the job seems cooler than any of the other ones I'm looking at, but now I'm so ashamed of myself and feel so horrible about the whole experience that I don't want to go back.

Okay, I'm going to grab lunch and get ready to go in for my "observation"...

2 comments:

L. Sanchez said...

Hot. Damn.

Well...all of life is a learning experience, right?

That does sound kind of weird and awkward. It sounds like the "weaknesses" question kind of set you off.

Maybe you could come up with some coy answers for the hot issues. Like instead of voicing your nervousness weakness you could state something else...

What other weaknesses do you have that don't hit too close to your emotional nerve endings?

Anyway...I don't know what to say. I really do think that you'll find your stride eventually though. If you keep at it. And cut yourself some slack! You're brilliant. Relax a little and let them see that.

Aparna said...

awww it happens to all of us at some point or another. anyway, from what it sounds like, that guy didn't come across in the best light either so don't write yourself off so quickly. you're super! and clearly, super-marketable.