Sunday, January 07, 2007

Action Plans

Okay, I know I have been slow about putting up these action plans. But, believe me, they have been developing in my head and I have even been making small changes in my life.

The first action plan is environmental responsibility. Step one: I have already made some changes by purchasing environmentally friendly cleaning products. I will not use products that contain things like chlorine or hydrocloric acid...I'm switching over to nontoxic products. I've already found nontoxic cleaning spray, and Jake picked up environmentally friendly toilet bowl cleaner and laundry detergent. Step two: Continue to bring in reusable bags to the grocery store. Step three: Buy a few more houseplants and nuture them properly. Step four: Get Jake to bother Dominion Power to switch over our electricity to wind-powered electricity instead of coal-fueled electricity. Step five: Continue to educate myself and slowly make changes...Does anyone else have suggestions? I've been reading this book by Peter Singer about the ethical consequences of our food choices. I think I've already decided that I'm not eating chicken out at restaurants anymore. I want to make sure that what I eat isn't coming from one of the factory farms wreaking havoc on the environment. I probably won't want to eat anything by the time I finish the book.

Oh, and a sidenote: I don't want to be embalmed and put in a casket when I die. I'm interested in the idea of "green burials" and I wonder if that might be better than being cremated. But, yeah, when I die...don't embalm me.

Okay, action plan number two: becoming healthier. Step one: I need to drink a proper amount of water. I have been carrying a water bottle with me at work, but it would probably be a good idea for me to drink water along with breakfast and dinner as well. Step two: Make a doctor's appointment sometime this year and get a real physical. Talk to the doctor about my blood pressure. Step three: Eat more fiber. Step four: At a bare minimum, exercise the equivalent of taking a half hour walk each day. Step five: Make an eye appointment and look into the possibility of lasik surgery for my left eye. Put away money into Jake's flexible spending account to pay for it. Step six: Continue to educate myself and develop new goals. Suggestions?

Action plan three: continue to develop my life philosophy. I'm pretty sure my life philosophy involves advancing knowledge and living responsibly on the earth. It does not involve religion. To continue to develop my philosophy, I will educate myself more about science. I want to read about physics. I want to read about evolution. Hmm...I'm not sure what else I want to do in this area. I guess this isn't very specific is it?

Action plan four: contribute to the human legacy. By this, I mean being creative. I also mean putting my own ideas forward in order to shape the environment I live in. I want to be able to advance changes in the moral and social climate. I just finished reading this book by Richard Dawkins and he discussed the idea of memes, which are units of cultural information. Memes (according to theory) may work similarly to genes and evolve according to natural selection. I think I need to be contributing memes in order for society to advance. (And, eventually, I will contribute my genes, too...when I'm good and ready.) Anyway...Step one: Continue to blog. Step two: Be less afraid to voice my own opinion. Step three: Do arts and crafts. Take my ceramics class (which starts tomorrow!). Step four: Take advantage of new situations, learn, and try new things. Meet new people. Have conversations. Play music. Etc.

Well, this is the start to becoming a better person. Maybe I can have the same action plans next year and add in new specific goals that build off of what I'll accomplish this year.

3 comments:

Emily said...

hey, i got a book at the library by richard dawkins called...crap, i can't remember. but i never got around to reading it because i had also gotten like 8,000 other books. but i want to read it. along with his new book about god. or lack thereof. yeah.

Maria said...

I meant to write this earlier...

This is, like, the best action plan ever. It makes mine look puny and pathetic and self-centered.

Way to go, Candy! You're gonna to awesome!

L. Sanchez said...

I love my smart friends.