Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Weekend in Philly


Jake and I decided that because we both had off for MLK Day, we'd take a short trip up to Philadelphia for the weekend. Here's a picture of us in front of the art museum there. Anyone interested in seeing more pictures can go to Jake's Album.

Highlights of the weekend:

We got lunch in Chinatown. I ordered the "House Special Chow Mein" only to discover that it had more animals in it than I could fully identify. There was pork, beef, chicken, shrimp, squid, scallops, and other random creatures. Huh. Not what I expected.

Jake and I toured Independence Hall and also saw the Liberty Bell.

I ate a Philly cheesesteak, which was on my "50 things to do before I die" list. (See my post from September 2005 to see the list.) From the point of the Philly cheesesteak forward, I have decided that am going to be more discerning regarding the meat I eat in restaurants. I just had to get that off the list first.

A bum tapped me on the elbow while I was waiting in line for a cheesesteak. He asked me for money to help him buy cigarettes and beer before the start of the Eagles game. I said no, and he proceeded to ask people ahead of me in line for money. One of the cooks at the steak place said, "Hey, you can't be pimpin' in here" and kicked him out. A second bum also got kicked out while I was still in line.

I watched the Eagles vs. New Orleans game in a bar and drank cheap beer.

Jake and I wandered through the Italian Market.

I ran up the stairs to the art museum, and a random man began singing the "Rocky" theme song. Jake captured some of this on video.

I drank some good beer and read in the hotel room while Jake watched "24". I had a beer called Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout, which was excellent. I also had a Belgian ale that I enjoyed.

Um, yup...that's about it. I wish we could have seen the King Tut exhibit that's coming in a few weeks to the Franklin Institute Science museum. Oh well, we still had an enjoyable time.

2 comments:

Emily said...

hey, both you and liz were in philly this weekend! weird. i wasn't in philly, though.

L. Sanchez said...

I want to go with you next time. *pouty face*