Sunday, January 28, 2007

But, I don't want to be a vegetarian.

It all started when I read this awesome article written by Peter Singer for the New York Times. His ideas about eliminating world poverty were interesting. Then, I decided that because he was such an interesting writer, I wanted to read some of his other work. I picked up "The Way We Eat", which he co-wrote with Jim Mason. Well, now that I read that, I've decided that I can no longer support factory farms with a clear conscience. That's why I said after the Philadelphia trip that I've decided to become more discerning in what I eat at restaurants. At least when I shop and cook on my own, I have more control over where my meat comes from. Now, Jake decided to read some of the book, too. He doesn't want to become vegetarian either. But, now he's taken away different things from it that I decided I wasn't going to let bother me. Now he wants to buy the milk at the store that costs $6 a gallon because the cows that produce it are fed grass and aren't stored in crates. I thought we were doing ok with the brand that costs $4 a gallon produced by Whole Foods. Apparently not.
Damn it. I refuse to become vegetarian. I want to still be able to eat meat on my own terms. I won't be one of those people who call themselves vegetarian and then get mocked for eating meat now and again. So, I'm not a vegetarian. I'm just reducing my meat consumption and trying to eat in a way that is for the most part environmentally and socially responsible. I don't think Jake is happy about it either. He complained that we haven't eaten meat all week long and then he had the chance to order some from this Thai place on Friday. I ordered a tofu dish. I wanted to order a shrimp dish and then deduced that the shrimp the restaurant serves probably comes from Asia, which the Seafood Watch list says to avoid. I figured Jake'd order something with meat and then he decided to order a vegetarian curry. He told me that reading the book is starting to bother him, too.
I'm going to read Pollan's "Omnivore's Dilemma" next. I'm hoping that it gives me more to go on to counter the arguments for being vegan in Singer's book. Gah, it's so much easier to just go with the flow and do what everyone else does. If I keep reminding myself of all the facts about why it's not good to eat meat, I will probably end most of my meat consumption. But, if I allow myself to forget it and distract myself, I'm sure I could go back to eating the things I used to eventually.
Anyway, I'm not a vegetarian. Not now, anyway. I went out to eat with these girls I know last night and I ordered food without meat. They asked me if I was a vegetarian. I said, "No, but I've decided that I can't support factory farms anymore." I think they looked sort of relieved that I wasn't vegetarian, and they nodded like they understood what I was saying about factory farms. I think maybe I could more effectively convince other people to reduce their meat consumption if I don't become a vegetarian. Does that make sense? Like, I can tell them, "I'm just like you. I enjoy meat. It's delicious. I've just decided that we all live on the earth and we need to protect it for future generations. So, I just want to make wise choices about the meat that I eat."

2 comments:

Maria said...

Hey-- so in Omnivore's Dilemma, Pollan highlights this super cool farm and I think it is relatively close to D.C. Here's the website: http://www.polyfacefarms.com/ but I checked and it's actually 150 miles away. But it sounds like there are other options for buying locally raised meat in Virginia. Check out eatwild.com to find other local places.

Also give me your opinion on this: What do you think the worst part of the dairy industry is? Maybe it's part of being from WI, but I can't get really upset over dairy. I buy the local UP brand that is rGBH free and I'm curious about what other medicines are pumped into the cows, but I really have trouble seeing local dairy farms as these really evil factory farms. I don't buy store beef (and I rarely eat it) because it probably comes from a disgusting feedlot in Oklahoma, but I'm fairly comfortable with local dairy. What do you think?

Emily said...

man, it's hard being a good person.

ps- is it just coincidence that the code i have to type right now (to make sure i'm not a machine putting spam on your comment page) is:

ludgcows.

cows. coincidence? undoubtedly. weird? definitely.