Monday, January 15, 2007

I need to be more of a pretentious asshole.

At work this week, I mentioned to a coworker of mine that I was tired of eating the same sandwich and yogurt every single day for lunch. I asked what he was eating, and he said that he brought a microwavable chicken pot pie. He then said, "Yeah, they're like 4 for $2 at Wal-mart. So, then your lunch is only 50 cents." I just sort of nodded and kept quiet. But inside, all I could think about is what cheap chicken pot pies probably actually end up costing humans and the earth. How much in wages did Wal-mart end up cheating workers, both in their own stores and out in the fields collecting the vegetables for that pot pie? How much environmental damage is probably being done by the factory farms producing the chicken for the pot pie? And, since I know that the CEO of Wal-mart makes 966 times the wage of the average Wal-mart employee, what percentage of that 50 cents goes directly to him?

I'm such a coward. I need to care less about what people think about me. I want people to like me, but maybe it matters less if people like me and more that I am able to change the attitutes and habits of other people to encourage environmental responsibility and social and economic justice. I wonder what my coworker would have said if I gave him a lecture instead of just letting his comments fly. I wonder what my mom would say if she found out that I haven't shopped at Wal-mart in like three years. I remember her implying that Derk is a kook for refusing to shop there and for refusing to eat chocolate that isn't fair trade.

I think I am going to stop eating meat at restaurants unless I know that the supply is raised in an environmentally sustainable way. I'm going to start bothering waiters about where the food they serve comes from. I know Chipotle's meat is free-range and not fed antibiotics, so I'll keep eating there.

Ugh. This all seems like so much work. I'd rather be a coward and just go with the flow of everything, so I don't have to conflict with friends and family. I feel like in a way I may have to "come out" to my family as being this environmentalist/human rights activist. I don't know how they'll react. I remember my mom being critical of me when I was vegetarian for a summer. Maybe I'll just tell my mom I've decided that I want to be a pretentious asshole. Yup, that's what it is...

3 comments:

Maria said...

I have trouble with this sometimes. I try most of the time to only eat meat that is game or is from local/small-scale agriculture, but I feel like a weird-o around all the "normal" people I know.

And it's really hard to verbalize what "environmentalist" things you practice, because you always have to draw the line somewhere. Because you can't be 100% organic and sustainable, even if you want to.

I think a lot of times I will explain things I do using reasons rather than environmental ones,even if I have environmental reasons too. I do this especially if I don't know a person that well or don't want to get in a huge conversation. It's easier to say that you want to know where your food comes from and what's in it and that all the additives in pot pie are really scary. And it's easier to say that Walmart is big and creepy.

But it probably is just chickening out....

L. Sanchez said...

I think it's a touchy thing with people.

They're putting a Super Walmart here and a small group of people are up in arms about it (they're showing a movie about Evil Wal-Mart on Saturday at the library--my supervisor is coming in even though I'm the one scheduled to manage the place because it might get "sticky" with media and shit).

Anyway, I feel like it's an asshole thing to do to impose your beliefs on other people...I think it's enough to say "Actually, I don't shop at Wal-Mart for ethical reasons." if pressed.

And only then to illumiate them further if they ask you too...

Because I'm pretty sure everyone by now knows Wal-Mart is evil...but some people just choose not to acknowledge it...

I don't know.

I'm opposed to uber-activists who are all in your face and self-righteous...

Wow. Long rant.

Basically, I think in the long run actions speak louder than words. Especially when your words are directed at people who choose to be deaf to them.

L. Sanchez said...

Too. Duh.

Okay. I meant to add on to that "small group of people are up in arms about it"--

Only a small group oppose it, see? Everyone else is all like: Wal-Mart isn't that bad. Yada yada yada.

There will always, ALWAYS be people who choose to believe that shit "isn't that bad"...and I don't believe talking to them until you are blue in the face will help that.

Hating Wal-Mart, like giving up meat, is something that people can't really be talked into if they're not receptive to it.

Does that make sense?

Like, there will be people out there (a vast majority) who just DON'T CARE. And you could dazzle them with all sorts of facts and figures and in the end, they still won't give a damn.

Those books that we read aren't turning us into the people we are becoming.

We read those books because they appeal to who we already are.

IE: That one book we read...THE WAY WE EAT: WHY OUR FOOD CHOICES MATTER.

Anyone who picks up a book like that, is already going to have been filtered from the main stream.

We come away thinking: Damn! There are lots of great arguments!

But the fact of the matter is, we picked up the book seeking great arguments.

Rattle the off to a person not seeking enlightenment, and they'll just shut you out.

Cynical?

Always.

Fuck. I miss Jake's Blog.