Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Trip to the ER

Yesterday I was busy doing dishes around noon when a glass slipped and broke. I got a huge gash across my left pinkie finger. I wadded up a tissue on the injury and tried to apply pressure, but the cut was so deep there was no way it was going to clot up. I called Jake at work freaking out about what to do and he said he'd bike home and drive me to the ER.

So, after a few hours, a tetanus shot, some x-rays, and six stitches, I came back home yesterday. Thankfully, I'm covered by Jake's insurance. This would have really sucked if it happened before the wedding. The doctor also told me that I was lucky that I didn't end up with a severed tendon. I'll probably end up with a crazy scar on my pinkie. It's weird to type with a messed up pinkie finger...

I was actually supposed to go to the gyno yesterday, so I called and rescheduled my appointment for Thursday. It is going to be a couple of weeks filled with medical appointments. The ER referred me to a doctor to get the stitches taken out, so I called to try to make an appointment for that. The doctor probably won't be able to take them out for another 2 weeks, but I was told that I needed to schedule an appointment in a week "just to check on it". The receptionist woman also told me that I should try to swing by the hospital to pick up copies of my x-rays before coming in for my appointment. WTF? What a waste of time...I'm not going to do that. Doesn't that seem like a strange request? Screw that...

Now Jake has to do the dishes and stuff at home because I can't put my hand in standing water. It also puts a kink in his plan to go to the beach in two weekends...yeah, I don't think Jake is too happy I got hurt.

I wanted to take a picture of my gross looking finger with all the stitches in it, but I couldn't find a good way of doing it on my own. This picture of me bandaged up taken by Jake will have to do:

2 comments:

Sarah said...

you poor baby. nice pic, though.

Emily said...

Ahhh, poor Candy!

I feel ya, man. I had the exact same contraption on my hand/finger when I got sliced back in 7th grade. Only for me it was my middle finger. It looked like I was constantly flicking people off. We can compare scars next time we see each other. It'll show up more in heat and cold and when your hands swell. Fyi. But it doesn't predict when it'll storm. Fucking useless, I tell ya.

Glad to hear you were covered under Jakey's insurance.