Thursday, September 20, 2007

My Finger is Healing and I'm Having Random Fun

I got my stitches out yesterday. Yay! The nurse told me to be careful with my finger for he first 24 hours of the stitches being out. She actually said, "You know, don't whack your kids with that hand or anything..." WTF?

Jake and I started a photography class on Tuesday night. Did I mention earlier that we bought a digital SLR camera with some of our wedding money? Well, the class is going to teach us what all the buttons and doohickeys are on it. We are supposed to take pictures every week and bring them to class to be critiqued. I took a few already yesterday while on a walk through the cemetery near our apartment. Jake wants to leave for the beach this weekend, so I'm sure we'll take a bunch more. Maybe I'll post some examples of my finest photography later as the class rolls on. :) Our teacher is Pete Duvall; he and his wife do freelance photography. They have a website.

We've been watching Badger football on the weekends at Hamilton's, which is the new alumni bar in DC. We all (Jake, Jon, Ellen, and me) like it better than the Exchange, the old alumni bar.

Here's a picture of me, Jon, and Ellen dancing around in the bar:


This past weekend, we wandered around after the game and found out that a new Shakespeare theatre opened downtown. We got a bunch of free food that Target was giving out, and Ellen and I made crowns:


Last night, Jake and I saw Naomi Klein speak about her new book "The Shock Doctrine". It was interesting, but I felt like I only had a vague idea about some of the stuff she talked about (I'm not really hip to stuff about Chicago-style economics or Bolivian history or anything...but it was interesting to learn a bit about). It also made for a bit of a late night, but I think if there's ever anyone speaking again at Politics and Prose that I'm interested in, it's worth it to go and hear a talk. Plus, it's still on my list to go and get a signed copy of a book (I suppose I could have done that last night, but I think I'd want to get a book about something that I know more about and could actually possibly have an intelligent conversation with the author about...is that too much to ask? Or should I just resign myself to the fact that I'll probably have anxiety talking to anyone while getting a book signed? Well, maybe I could get a signed copy of Wayne Williams's book without worrying that I looked like a moron...)

If anyone is interested, there is a short film advertising Naomi Klein's book:


I have a phone interview tomorrow morning, and once that is over, Jake and I are planning to go to the beach in Delaware. Yay beach!

1 comment:

Emily said...

Delaware. Haha. I always think of that scene in Wayne's World where they're in front of a screen talking about doing fun things in various states. Then Delaware pops up and they stand still, look kinda confused, and go, "Delaware...Hi. We're in Delaware..."