Sunday, February 24, 2008

Who Blogs?

I took Maria's suggestion to hit the "Next Blog" button and track whether the blog's author is male or female. I only did it twenty-five times, but here are my results:

Male bloggers: 8 (32%)
Female bloggers: 8 (32%)
Can't tell/ Multiple authors: 9 (36%)

I'm surprised at how many had multiple authors . Why am I not on a team blog? Who wants to start a team blog with me?

I know that I counted one blog that was a mother/daughter team as "female". I also questioned the gender of one or two authors...like, it says it's written by a woman, but could be written by a man posing as a woman.

Some blogs didn't seem very active (had only one post, for example), but I still counted them.

Also, I think more than half of my results came up in languages other than English. Which really shouldn't be surprising, since there are plenty of people out there who don't speak English as their native language. It just really highlighted to me how I think I really should know more about languages. Is it too late in my life to really pick up Spanish and be fluent?

So, those are the results of my study. Hope you all enjoy them! If anyone else feels like doing a replication of this, let me know how your findings come out.

1 comment:

Maria said...

I'll start a team blog. We can do it on something green!!

I was hanging out with a bunch of Swedes the past few days and it made me sad that I don't know Swedish or Finnish or any other (probably more practical) language. But then I realized that if I go to Sweden or Finland, everyone there will know English, so it might not matter.

It kind of sucks that even if you do learn a second language, it's really hard to find a place to use it or practice (unless you live in the SW with a lot of Hispanics or something like that).