Friday, February 22, 2008

Why Blog?

Jake and I were having a conversation about writing the other day. I said I like to feel that I have the time to sit and write down my thoughts (which feels harder to do lately...). Personally, it allows me to organize my thoughts and helps me to remember things. Jake said that blogging a) makes him leery because he doesn't want all of his thoughts out there for anyone to see and b) is kind of a chore. I said, "But how about just writing your ideas on paper so only you can see it?" Jake was like, "That's girly!" However, it also came out that he thinks that blogging is more of a girl activity. I disagreed, but neither of us had any evidence to back up our opinion. Does any one know stats on this? Are there more female than male bloggers? Do women blog more often than men? How do other people perceive this- is blogging more of a woman thing?

2 comments:

Maria said...

I agree that writing is a good way to slow your thoughts and put them in logical order. Somewhere several years back, I used to think about how my thoughts came too fast, and that talking would slow them down a certain degree. And because writing took even longer, it would slow my thoughts more than talking would. And maybe then they'd make sense.

I keep a journal too. Do you? And I journal more than I blog, mostly because I'm only willing to blog the most mundane things about my life.

I really doubt that more women blog than men, at least not a substantial amount more; I'm just guessing that the subject matter is different.

You could do a test: go to one of your friend's blogs and then hit that "next blog" button and record the gender of the author and do that 100 times or something. It's a little scientific and might indicate whether it's really skewed towards one gender.

When I think of journaling among adults (i.e. teenage girls excluded), I kind of doubt that there is are a lot more women that journal. I bet a lot of men, especially the aspiring writer set, also journal. But I don't know how you'd find out.

Sarah said...

i do NOT think of blogging as a girl thing, however, journaling kind of is, in my mind. i think the technological aspect of blogging makes it more gender neutral.