Sunday, May 21, 2006

Dinner and a Movie

I went to see Liz yesterday. We shopped at the Mall of America, ate at the Olive Garden, and went to see the Da Vinci Code. I have to say it was great fun going on a dinner and a movie date with Liz. It's nice to at least have one other person to spend time with. I swear, I drive myself nuts sometimes thinking about the same stuff all the time at home by myself. It's nice to have a conversation with someone over dinner every now and then.
Anyway, the movie was okay. I didn't like that the story got changed some to tone down the more controversial aspects of the book. Liz also pointed out that people who didn't read the book probably were confused by the movie. The movie doesn't really explain too well who the Priory of Sion are and glazed over the fact that they were pagans. The whole sex ritual thing wasn't explained at all. I also just don't think it makes sense that the movie wound up endorsing prayer and religion a bit at the end. I feel like the whole story got toned down to appease a more middle-of-the-road audience.
Oh, and I thought seeing a movie with Audrey Tautou speaking English was kind of weird. I liked her a lot better in Amelie. For some reason, I felt like she was a much better actress in that...

No comments: