Friday, June 29, 2007

Keeping Up with the Joneses.

I added some more stuff to our wedding registry this morning due to pressure from people to do it. I don't want people to buy us a bunch of fancy crap. If you buy me a piece of china, it will sit in a closet. DO NOT BUY IT FOR ME. I didn't register for china, so I hope no one takes it upon themselves to buy it for me.

One of Jake's aunts gave us all these pages torn out of catalogs with "ideas" of things she could give us for the wedding. Apparently nothing on our registries were crazy fancy enough for her. Argh.

We invited a bunch of people from Jake's work to the wedding and none of them can make it. However, now they all feel obligated to give us gifts and they really shouldn't. They were asking us about wedding registries on Monday while we were out for drinks. I just wanted to invite them because I thought it would be fun if any of them decided they wanted to take a vacation to Wisconsin on a whim. I just want to have a party and this whole wedding thing is so confusing to me.

Tonia (a girl that works at the patent office) is getting married in November. I just looked at her wedding registry. A single place setting off her registry costs about as much as all of our dishes combined. Holy crap.

I don't need a bunch more stuff. Really. Our place is small. We already have trouble fitting the things we have into our apartment.

This reminds me... I have a friend who works at the patent office. She's thirty and single. She owns a three bedroom home up in Maryland. She's looking to move out of it, because her commute to work is about two hours, I think (she got the house when she worked at a different job). Anyway, she was telling me that she is thinking about getting an apartment in Alexandria for the time being while she researches the housing market in VA and decides where to move. However, she said that she wants a three bedroom apartment! I said, "Why do you need a three bedroom apartment?" She said, "Because I have all this nice furniture and I need a place to keep it. I had to furnish a three bedroom house, you know." "Why don't you just get rid of the furniture so you can live in a smaller place?" "Well, it's nice furniture...it's mahogany and stuff." "Why do you need so much room?" "Umm...you know, it's for guests and stuff..." "Has anyone ever slept in your other bedrooms?" "Well, no...but my brother has come over and slept on the couch before. I have a nice sleeper sofa. I want to keep that." "Come on, just sell your stuff on Craigslist or something." "Who's going to want to buy all this used furniture?" "I'm sure someone would be willing to take it." "Take it! But this is expensive stuff! I paid good money for it!" "I think you could get a fair price for it...you can ask whatever you want for it on Craigslist." "I guess...oh...I don't know..."

Seriously, sometimes people just make me want to smack my forehead. Please someone tell me I am crazy if I ever get that attached to a bunch of stuff...

1 comment:

Maria said...

I'm so not into nest-building. We've been married two years now and we don't even own our kitchen table, end tables, coffee table, computer desk, etc.... And we use all our old dishes from St. Vinny's on most days-- the "fine china" (from Target) only comes out for special occasions or when we haven't kept up on the dishes.