Monday, August 22, 2005

The Dawning of the Age of Aquarius

Well, the weekend went by really quickly. On Friday, Jake and I went to the Rock Bottom Brewery in Arlington for dinner and drinks. I had two 23 oz. glasses of beer and my stomach was really full from it.
On Saturday, we went to the National Archives in the morning. I didn't realize that it took four months to write the Constitution...doesn't that seem like a long time? We left the Archives before we got a chance to look at everything, because we were hungry and wanted lunch. I think both of us wouldn't mind going back sometime to look over some of the exhibits some more. We ate lunch in Chinatown and then tried to go to the International Spy Museum but tickets were sold out for most of the afternoon. We went to the movies and saw The 40-Year Old Virgin instead. I love it when people randomly break out into song in the movies...it's great. Now I have the "Age of Aquarius" stuck in my head. Here's Jake outside Union Station. After we went to the movies, we wandered around town a bit. I think the most interesting thing that happened to us all day happened while we were walking through Union Station. About four black girls who all looked to be about nine years old stopped us and said, "Hey, are y'all married?" I could not understand the girl who was talking to us because of her accent...I thought she was asking us if we were American. I said "What?" to her like three or four times and still could not understand her. Finally, Jake said to her, "No, we're not married..." Another one of the kids that stopped us said something about how we looked like brother and sister and that was about the extent of the exchange. What really interests me about the whole thing is the question of what possesses a person to walk up to a couple and ask if they are married. I've never just been asked that off the cuff like that...who walks around asking people stuff like that?
Saturday night, Jake and I ate dinner in Adam's Morgan and we stopped in to have a drink at Madam's Organ before heading home.
Yesterday, we mostly stuck around at home. We had brunch not far from home and played some mini-golf. I lost by one stroke. I think that that is probably an improvement over the last time Jake and I played mini-golf. I must be getting better...next time, I'll totally beat him. We swam in the pool in the afternoon and I made lasagna for dinner. I'm not sure what I'm going to do today. I think I might stick around home and bake cookies. Jake said something about going out for fajitas tonight, so we might do that for dinner and I might get to meet some of the people that he works with.

No comments: