Monday, August 15, 2005

Visting Jake

Well, I've been up to lots of stuff the past few days. On Thursday night, Jake took me to 1789, which is a fancy restaurant in Georgetown. It was fun to go out, but I feel like I'm always doing something wrong in fancy restaurants. I ordered the wrong wine with my food and the waiter told me that I should get something else. There was also an old lady at the table next to us wearing this pink jacket getup who kept staring at me like I was a freak. Bah...whatever. I ate some good food and had my first experience of valeting a car.
On Friday, Jake and I left to go tour wine country in Virginia. Here's a picture of me outside the Naked Mountain winery. You can see the grapes growing on the left. It was fun tasting all sorts of different wines, even though I don't know a whole lot about how to do it. I think that I learned a few things and I got a nice wine buzz. Friday night, Jake and I went into Winchester, VA and had dinner at an Italian restaurant. I learned that Winchester was the girlhood home of Patsy Cline. On Saturday, Jake and I went to a few more wineries early in the day and that evening we drove into Maryland to see Jon and Ellen. Jon is living in this historical stone house (which he's agreed to write a paper about) in the middle of a sketchy neighborhood. There's this topless go-go dancer place across the street and the whole area is filled with liquor stores and pawn shops. Jon's little cute house with a white picket fence seems totally out of place.
Anyway, we went out to Franklin's, a brewpub not far from their place for dinner. The interesting thing about this brewpub is that it has a giftshop attached to it that sells kids' toys, candy, refrigerator magnets, random food, beer, and all sorts of quirky stuff. We went back to their place afterwards and played poker and euchre. I lost all of my chips in poker...but we weren't betting any money so I don't care. I probably would've played more conservatively if we were actually betting money and if I hadn't been drinking...
Yesterday, Jake and I toured Mount Vernon. It was 110 degrees with the heat index, which made it super uncomfortable. I bought my dad this plastic axe filled with cherry sours that says "I cannot tell a lie" on it for his birthday...not so much because I think he'll like it but more because I found it amusing.
Okay, well, now I have to figure out what I'm going to do today while Jake is at work...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I miss you!