Saturday, January 21, 2006

Time Capsule


I guess that Forbes decided that it would let people write an email time capsule to themselves and then send them out up to twenty years later. This is an interesting idea. There are apparently other websites that will let you do this as well. Huh. I wonder if I should write myself an email so that a few years down the road I can look back and think that I've really accomplished a lot. Maybe I could ham it up a bit and make myself look even more pathetic than I really am. Do you think I'd believe myself or would I remember that I was faking it a bit? I wonder...

Has anyone else ever had to do something like this? I had a prof. tell us to write a note to ourselves last year and I think she told us we should put it in an envelope and we couldn't open it for another few years or something. It was on a topic, though...I think it had to do with how to collaborate well with parents as a school psychologist. Whatever I wrote was pretty stupid, I know...whatever I wrote was like 3 sentences long because we had like 5 minutes in class to write it. I ended up just throwing mine away. It would've been better if she would have been willing to pony up the money to send it to us in three years or something. Plus, I think it's more interesting if you write your future self about your whole life...not something about one aspect of your hypothetical future job. I think Brittany wrote a letter to herself like that while she was in high school. I remember something coming in the mail one day and she said something about how Mr. Brownell made her class write letters to themselves. I wonder what she wrote herself. I don't think she told me. She probably wouldn't tell me if I asked her either.

Lelani and Maria, remember that time capsule we put together? I wonder if it's still in that crawl space in my parents' basement. I'm a bit apprehensive about opening that because I'm pretty sure that something I wrote in there will end up making me feel like an asshole. Sometimes I do that to myself. I look back on something and I think, "God, I was such an asshole." Lelani, do you remember that confirmation card I made you that I drew klansmen in or something? I remember thinking that I was pretty funny at the time, but then I think you showed it to me years later and I just thought to myself..."How was this funny again?" I guess it's a little bit scary how much you can change in the course of only a few years. I don't know if it's good or bad. Probably good for the most part, because hopefully I'm just getting wiser. Although I'm not too sure about that.

4 comments:

Emily said...

My only issue with the email time capsule is: what are the odds that you'll have the same email in 20 years? I wonder what the email address turnover rate is? I've had 3 (main ones) in the last 7 years, I believe. If I happen to get married before 20 years is up (at the rate I'm going that's simply wishful thinking) then I'd think about changing my current email address.

My 6th grade teacher had us write a letter to ourselves about our 6th grade year that she sent to us...maybe a year later, I don't really remember. It was kinda funny. I've done that with friends as well--exchange letters and then open them up 1 year later. It's nice.

Emily said...

I hate it when you have to type in the security code to post something but they mutate the letters so badly you can't even tell what letters you're supposed to type in...this current one is easy, but I also find it really funny for some reason: wagog

Maria said...

I had a really good comment, but I forgot it.

I agree that my email addresses will be totally different in even 5 years.

I always hate myself in the past. Like, when I read old things, I'm always thinking, "God, I was such an idiot." I really never like myself from the past. It reminds me how flawed I was/currently am.

I have no idea what I'd say to myself in the future. It's especially intimidating because me in the future is going to dislike me now.

I keep a journal, so I think that I'll at least have that to look back on and see how I've changed over time.

Maria said...

I remembered my original comment:

Historians are saying now that because so much of our communication is electronic, in the future, it will be really hard to explain a lot about current times because so much never gets printed (is deleted in emails, etc).

So, they say if you ever want to become famous or have people talking about you, keep a paper journal and when you die have it turned over to a historical society. There won't be many, so everyone will be studing your life. And maybe Ken Burns will put in in a documentary (I made that last part up.)

I need to start censoring my journal... or keep two sets of books!