Sunday, February 19, 2006

"First I was afraid, I was petrified..."

First of all, I want to thank everyone who has posted on here or talked to me over the phone to cheer me up. I'm glad that I have all of you! You have helped me deal with this better than if I had to do it on my own. I am feeling a bit more positive about the whole thing. I still think it was super-shitty that those people didn't even bother to wait until they interviewed me, but whatever...it's over now and I can't change it.

I emailed the woman from Prince William today to tell her that I decided that I'm not going to come in for the (futile) interview she said that she would still "honor". I asked her if she could give the names of other places that might be taking on interns, what I should do in the next year if I don't get an internship, and what I can do to improve my application materials. She surprised me by sending me back an email a half hour later. She suggested a few other counties in VA that I haven't applied to yet, but I know I've tried to contact some of them and haven't had luck before. I can try again, I guess. Hopefully, they haven't already interviewed and taken on people, too. She wasn't too helpful with the job ideas for if I don't get an internship...all she suggested was that I look for something similar to my practicum experience. She said that I don't need to do anything to improve my application, it's just that it was a "timing issue" with my interview. Bah. "Timing issue"...I wish she would've made that "timing issue" a little bit clearer when she was setting up the interview with me.

Anyway, it made me feel a little better that she included that she felt "certain" I'd find an internship spot this year. But it also worried me that she said that she was "surprised" at the volume of applications for the internship position at Prince William and at the number of people who applied from out-of-state. I just have this feeling that there is this huge influx of school psych applicants to the DC area this year for some reason.

Sometimes I think it wouldn't be so bad to take a year off and just do something that would be an interesting experience. I'm sure I could find something cool out in DC...whether it be a job or just some volunteer stuff. I feel like it'd be hard to apply again for internships the next year, though. I'd have to make my profs save their recommendation letters for me again next year. Plus, I wouldn't want to have to try to explain to people why I didn't get an internship right away. Oh, I don't know...

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

maybe she hasn't conducted interviews before and had no idea how many people would apply. she could have thought there would be like 2, and then there were actually 10, or something.

it's nice that she was reassuring to you...the least she could do after being very inconsiderate. the whole "timing issue" almost makes it seem like she really hasn't done it before. otherwise she would have done a better job.